Project AE86: Stripped Bolt

Untitled

Couple days ago, the engine harness maker messaged me that he is almost done with the engine harness and wanted a picture of the TPS. I was pretty excited since, Im hoping the ECU and harness will make the motor run and idle right. So I proceeded to removed the TPS…

Untitled

Removing the top screw was pretty easy but when I got to the bottom that was a different story. I noticed I was having a harder time losening the screw and I found out the screw was stripped. Ugh, what was suppose to be an easy removed now turned out to be more difficult.

Untitled

At first, I thought I had to remove the motor to get enough access to use my bolt extractor. But on the 86 group chat I was in, someone mentioned I could just removed the throttle bodies. I didn’t think of it (being a complete noob) but it was a great idea.

Untitled

I first removed the trumpets then the throttle bodies. The process was pretty straight forward I didn’t need any special tools, just a Allen key, and 10mm socket.

Untitled

The throttle body adapter has some type of gasket that was actually wrong for the fitment haha. You could tell its was some type of liquid gasket maker the previous person used. Not factory spec, but I guess it worked. I went ahead and ordered the correct gasket for the throttle bodies from SQ Engineering. One nice thing to note are the throttle bodies and trumpets are from a 20v silver top, and the adapter plate is from Techno Toy Tuning (T3).

Untitled

While the trumpets and throttle bodies are out, I taped up the intake portion just to make sure no debris makes it into the intake.

Untitled

Im no stranger to striped screws and bolts, and I my bolt extractor made it easy to remove the screw.

Untitled

With the hard part done, I was able to take good pictures of the TPS for the engine harness maker. Then I went to the bolt supply store to replace the TPS screws, and some other missing bolts I needed for the 86.

Untitled

The bolt guy was pretty nice, and gave me the bolts for free!!

Untitled

I went with hex bolts, because they are less prone to strip compared to screws. While Im waiting for the gaskets to arrive, I did some cleaning of the throttle bodies and trumpets. They sure needed it.

Untitled Untitled

I cleaned the throttle bodies with brake cleaner, and hand polished the trumpets.

Untitled

For the T3 adapter plate, I used a copper brush to remove the remaining gasket, and brake cleaner to remove the carbon build up.

Untitled

I wonder how clean this will last because I have no future plans to run a filter for my ITBs. I just know that I will will be making frequent oil changes every 1000 miles or after a track event. Maybe I could make more own filters for cheap. Stay tuned!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s