So one car i’ve been keeping kind of on the DL over the last few years is my 1983 Toyota Corolla. I purchased it a few years ago and drove it only for a few months until I overheated and seized the motor.
This is how it sat May 20, 2011.
I’d seen a handful of the *e7 corollas out there pop up on the 86 forums, but never really looked in depth at them. I was so confused. Was it a te72? A ke70? An ae71? From my research i learned that the letter before the e7_ corresponded with the engine. So te72 had a 2tc. A ke70 had a 3kc motor. And the ae71’s came woth 4ac motors.
The great thing I learned about ae71’s was that they are essentially 4 door sr5 ae86’s. The whole e7 generation corolla family have a lot of similarities to ae86’s, but the 83 model ae71’s were most similar. Since they came with 4ac’s it would be really easy to do a gts swap and fit a 4age in. So i started looking at other peoples builds and came across a few I really liked.
The guys i really looked at in the e7 world for inspiration are:
Soooo… I think the last update I had on my hatch was almost a year ago. When I was pulling out the 16v and dropping in my 20v. The last post featuring the hatch was 8/6 day of last year, 8 months ago. Over the last 8 months this is, in short, the progress of the hatch:
-20v didn’t run properly
-swapped levin front end from coupe to hatch
-mounted shine auto trd style wing
-custom DIY purple plastidip
I’ll pick up from where I left off from the story of the coupe:
As soon as I got the coupe up and running with the 20v, I began to focus on reviving the hatch. Which at the moment, had no front suspension and I mean NOTHING.
Dec. 20, 2012
So after the coupe was painted, I decided it was about time to get the car looking like a whole car again. Most people around town knew me as the guy with all the 86’s (which happen to always be missing a body panel). So I decided to piece the coupe together to be as close to 100% appealing to the eye as possible. So first thing first, was to get the rear over fenders to fit the 15×9 -41 rear work equips.
Just look at that… NOT CUTE
Man, I’ve been terrible about updating my builds. Over the last three months…a LOT has changed on my corolla(s). Branden did a quick profile on me back at the end of 2012. You can check it out here. At that time, I had just freshly prepped and painted my coupe. Being my first time using an HVLP gun and single stage paint, I think it turned out pretty good!
Here’s a before shot of the car:
Nov. 8, 2012:
First thing first, I started sanding down the spray paint on the car to get to the original paint. Once I got to that, I scuffed up the original paint real nice for the primer to stick. And started primering with Rustoleum spray paint. (in the future, I would buy actual automotive primer from Sherwinn-Williams bc, I don’t think my single stage paint stuck to the car as well with rustoleum).
All taped up, ready for primer
I just wanted to take some time to introduce one of our boys, Arick Casas. Hands down I think all of us can agree that he’s one of the craziest guys in our group. I’ve only had the pleasure of knowing him for such a shorter time than Branden or Cody have. I always knew him as the guy with the slammed xB back in the day…
I think when it came down to things — it all started with his Honda Fit. After owning the car for less than a week, he had already started stripping it for touge runs.
Welp, since TBT or “throw back thursdays” are the new cool thing to do on social media on thursdays… I decided I’d hop on the bandwagon today.
I’m gonna take things back to Nov. 5th, 2011. The day I took my little hatch all over downtown Austin, TX for a photoshoot. I had gotten tired of my 14″ low offset wheels and was about ready for widebody and Angelina Jolie lips on my hatch. So I decided to take it out on a shoot so that I could remember the way it looked back in the day…
So my buddy Jason came over after I got of work to start welding up my rear quarter panels. Joseph decided to come on over as well. I picked up a 12 pack of Dos Equis and we quickly started working on the levin.
Using the hammer and a bunch of ice grips. We attempted to get the two layers of metal as close to each other as possible. The rear quarter has metal coming from the wheel well, which is factory welded together to the outer body of the 86. I had to close up the gap from cutting and grinding. An hour and a half later, we had the driver side finished. Yes we took our sweet one and almost finished a 12 pack. Hahah.