So on my day off this past wednesday… I ran around picking up little parts I knew that I’d need to finish my motor. Sadly, I got called in to work around 5pm :[ Story of my life.
I worked a few hours and Joseph came to the shop and grabbed some sushi. Once business died down, I was free to go and it was homeward bound to drop my motor in!
After some Dreyer’s Dibs ice cream that joseph picked up from the gas station, it was time to get going on the motor.
I had to be really careful with the engine, so I don’t scratch the paint on the bay. But as careful as I was, once it was secure in the mounts, the engine leaned backwards and my fuel return barb gauged the back of the engine bay :[ Luckily it’s behind the engine, so it’s a bit more difficult to see.
After a couple tweaks here and there, I got the headers in just to see what it would look like! (in case you’re wondering about the headers, I got them used from club4ag. they’re old JSP Fab headers. Made by Formula Drift driver John Russakoff. I think he might have run them in his old 20v competition 86)
go pho it!
By this time it was like 2 or 3 in the morning. Joseph and I decided to call it a night. He had to get up early for work and we were hungry as heck. So we went inside the house, nommed on some eggrolls leftover from work — which wasn’t enough so I made some spring rolls to fill our bellies.
All that’s left to get the motor running is hooking up the radiator/oil cooler, finishing wiring up my coil on plugs, tucking the harness, then brake/clutch lines. Almost there! Everything that’s left is just super tedious.
in all its glory
So, if you’ve been following me on Instagram, you might be caught up on my swap. If you want to — follow me @thaisonnguyen.
I started this about a month ago and REALLY wanted to do a clean swap. My inspiration? The Car Peace ae86 from the Hellaflush meet in Japan late last year:
car peace ae86 engine bay
The first thing was to pull the motor — thanks a bunch to Joseph Dann for helping me so much with the swap.
joseph d, mounting the 16v
Soon enough we got it all removed and it was time to start removing everything and prepping the engine bay… Continue reading
So the blacktop swap into the 86 is about to go full swing. I’m waiting on a couple parts to come in from the mail!
I found a deal on a harness that I could NOT pass up. So I ended up buying this harness from a gentleman on club4ag, rather than rewire the aw11 harness that currently is on the engine — I’m just gonna sell that harness instead.
I’m also waiting on some exhaust parts — a jsp header and a buddy club spec ii to be exact. Meaning, this car is going to make babies cry and your ears bleed from exhaust tones. So my set up will be 110 mm velocity stacks, jsp headers, straight pipe, buddy club spec ii.
My parts should all be here tomorrow! I’m excited to get started on this swap. Should make for a completely different car
So it begins…my blacktop 4age swap into the 86.
Just last week I finally got my engine on the stand to really start converting it from fwd to a rwd configuration. This means rerouting the water lines, etc. I decided to go with the sq engineering kit based out of Australia. He makes some really high quality parts for the 20v 4ag swaps.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with what a 20v 4age is — to put it short, it’s the newer revision of the 86’s original motor. Higher compression, stock individual throttle bodies, 5 valves per cylinder (as opposed to e stock 4 valves per cylinder.
Here’s my workspace:
Tonight, I decided to start taking apart my harness. The motor and harness I picked up was being run in an aw11 mr2. So I need to rewire the harness to fit the ae86 chassis and also to mate up with the ae86 harness. Spent a couple hours on it and decided it was time to go to sleep. I’ve got a lottttttt of work ahead of me…